Monday, August 13, 2007

Finishing up to Shinagawa

After Tamakiya it was starting to get late in the afternoon. One area we passed through was a collection of small streets filled with izakaya (Japanese pubs).
I found a bike to rest on where I thought I'd be safe from getting stepped on. I'm telling ya, that pole and my bag were really starting to get heavy.

Not much to see, we took a photo in front of Daimon and my photographer got a silhouette shot of Tokyo Tower. Daimon has been a landmark since the days of the old Tokaido but Tokyo Tower, based on the Eiffel Tower, is a modern day landmark.

I had to sneak past a cat. This one didn't look too hungry, thank goodness!





My photographer stopped to ask two police officers how much further to Shinagawa and they told her to take a train as it was fifteen kilometers to Shinagawa. Since she had a map with the distance calculated out and it had 8 kilometers written on it she decided to just thank the police officers and just keep going. Eventually I found a sign indicating the distance to Nihonbashi was seven kilometers. That meant only one more kilometer to go!
I decided to stop off at a shrine and pay my respects. It was kind of nice but my photographer was getting worried about the time. This section of the journey wasn't too much fun. No cool shops to look at. This was mainly office buildings with some places to eat dotting the landscape. Pretty sterile.

I have to admit to getting nervous that people would step on me as it got darker and people were heading to the train station for the commute after a hard day's work. I got pretty lucky. No injuries.

Here I am at last at my destination for the day--Shinagawa Station.I do have to wonder what my photographer was thinking when she posed me for this picture. Granted, being able to read Shinagawa Station (that is what the glowing letters say) is kind of cool, but what if I fell over the railing? I would have been squashed! Not to mention that we were over top a busy road! Humph... their should be a union for this kind of thing. I should at least have had a safety line attached!

No comments: