Monday, August 13, 2007

Shinagawa to Kawasaki: the Ota-Ku Section.

There was almost a distinct change once we crossed over into Ota-ku. This part of Tokaido ran along the Number Seven Highway (not to be confused with the highspeed expressway one has to pay a toll for). The shops tended to be more along the lines of bulk products or cheaper goods, with a large share of factories and warehouses. This was definitely much less picturesque.


Jamie had to leave early so got on a train and headed off to a dinner party and my intrepid photographer and I continued on our journey to Kawasaki. This leg was longer and I had to laugh when my photographer groaned at seeing a road sign indicating five more kilometers to Kawasaki.

It was getting dark so we hustled the last bit and didn't stop to take any pictures until we got to the bridge spanning the river that separates Tokyo-To from Kanagawa Prefecture. My photographer groused that she could cover a lot more ground if she didn't have to stop and take my picture all the time. I pretended not to hear her.

By the time we crossed the bridge it was full-on dark. We stopped for another picture and a foreigner on a bicycle stopped to talk to us. He mentioned that he hadn't seen many foreigners in this part of town.

We finally got to Kawasaki and we met up with my photographer's husband for dinner. Apparantly they had some plans to see a movie but he took one look at her and laughed at how tired she was. He fed her and we all went home.

No comments: